3.24.2015

Words Have A Way


My seventh grade reading teacher used to tell us that if the use of profanity was the best word we could come up with in any given sentence, we needed to expand our vocabulary.  Profanity proves laziness and a lack of personal integrity.

I've always remembered that, every time I've uttered a vulgar or profane word.  It is about the only thing that has probably kept my mouth "clean" long before I came to Christ.

Don't misunderstand - I am definitely no saint.  I get angry, I slip.  I get passionate about something, I slip.  There is, though - always - instantaneous conviction.  I KNOW I could have said something better the moment I use profanity.  Always.

Now that a friend of mine has posted the above quote, it'll probably ring in my head each time I go to speak, too.

A thought to ponder - why doesn't Ephesians 4:29 or Colossians 3:5-17 bounce around my brain when those words pour off of my lips?   Why is that?


No comments: